World Holy Name Week 2012
After a blissful celebration of Sri Radhashtami, there is yet another big opportunity coming up to please Srimati Radharani and Srila Prabhupada; World Holy Name Week (WHNW) 2012 – September 28th to October 7th. Many auspicious tithis are falling during this period, such as Srila Bhaktivinoda Thankura appearance, Srila Haridasa Thakur disappearance, Visvarupa Mahotsava (Srila Prabhupada accepting sanyasa), and Srila Prabhupada arrival in the west. So it is the perfect time to glorify and spread Holy names!!!
The sole purpose of WHNW is to celebrate the Holy Names globally and share this treasure, which Srila Prabhupada brought to the west, with more and more people. This can be done in many different ways, although some suggestions and ideas by World Holy Name Week committee are given:
1. Nagar Sankirtan – Harinaam processions with WHNW and mahamantra banners.
2. 24 hours and/or 12 hours Sankirtan yajna – Non-stop kirtan for 24/12 hours.
3. Japathon – Pledges from devotees and congregation to chant extra rounds during this period.
4. Morning Bhagvatam class on Holy names as the theme – Morning Bhagvatam classes emphasizing on glories and importance of Holy Names.
5. Japa Seminars – Seminars on japa related topics e.g japa reform, 10 offenses, types of japa etc
6. Japa Retreats – Group of devotees do japa retreat camps under proper leadership and guidence.
7. Sunday feast lectures & dramas – Preasentations based on importance of Holy names and related topics.
8. Japa Booth – Putting a table with beads and pamhplets in the temple encouraging new comers to get the beads and chant.
9. Inter Faith events – Invite other religions/faiths for Kirtans and other Holy Name related events.
10. Radio Shows – Broadcasting Hare Krishna Kirtans, specially Srila Prabhupada dhun on radio.
11. Holy Name walks – Padyatras to nearby towns and villages to distribute holynames, prabhupada books and Prasad.
12. Harinaam concerts – Arrange Harinaam concerts (Kirtan in different styles and many musical instruments) for public.
13. Celebrities – Get the cricket/Film stars and other celebrities for public chanting events During WHNW.
14. Banners – Post Hare krishna mahamantra and WHNW banners/hoardings throughout the citiy/town/villages.
15. Newspapers adverisement- WHNW articles/advertisements in newspapers
16. Media – Call media groups for events coverage for TV/Radio/Newspapers etc
17. Inter-faith conventions on Holy Name – Invite other religion/faiths for dialouge on holy names of God.
18. Giftshop SALE – Special discount on Kirtan/bhajan CD’s/DVD’s during this period.
These are just to name a few but we can celebrate and glorify holynames in many more ways.
“If the surface of the globe is over-flooded with the chanting of the Hare Krsna mantra, the people of the world will be very, very happy.
(Srila Prabhupada – Purport SB 4.24.11)
Let’s join hands together in celebration of Holy Names and over-flood the world with love and holy names of Krishna.
With ideas or questions please contact Divyanam Das at Divyanam.firstname.lastname@example.org or Janananda Gosvami at Janananda@yahoo.com
WHNW 2012 CALENDAR*
28 Sep 2012 Friday – Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura Appearance
29 Sep 2012 Saturday – Ananta Caturdasi, Srila Haridasa Thakura Disappearance
30 Sep 2012 Sunday – Purnima, Sri Visvarupa Mahotsava, Acceptance of sannyasaby Srila Prabhupada
1 Oct 2012 Monday
2 Oct 2012 Tuesday
3 Oct 2012 Wednesday
4 Oct 2012 Thursday
5 Oct 2012 Friday
6 Oct 2012 Saturday
7 Oct 2012 Sunday – Srila Prabhupada’s arrival in the USA – Boston
*Calender is based on calculations for Mayapur, India.